Partnering with Parents!
Parents working together with the school to deliver our mission for our children
NIS is a non-profit school, established and sustained by a parent community who are committed to maintaining a strong international school for their children growing up in Nagoya. For this reason, a close partnership with parents is essential if the school is to remain current and relevant to the children we serve.
NIS partners with parents through our ‘Parent Partners’ program – a diverse team of volunteer parents who use their own personal skills, circumstances and attributes to support and develop the school. There are three "strands" within the Parent Partners organization consisting of the Outreach, Transitions, and PTA.
There are three ways to be a Parent Partner:
The Outreach Team
Outreach Advocates are parents who support the school spreading the word about NIS throughout their community networks, such as:
- Speaking about NIS when the topic of schools naturally comes up in conversations and amongst workplace or family networks (friends, co-workers, clubs/social groups, churches, etc.)
- Initiating an Outreach Event of your own, with the support of the school
- Volunteering to support an event organized by someone from the Outreach Team
The Transitions Team
Transition Buddies are volunteer parents who support families considering a move to NIS. Volunteer transition parents are connected to a similar family (i.e. language, similar age children, background, etc.) to make contact and offer support. The aim is to help new families make good decisions for their children and, should they decide to come to NIS, better transition in to our community. Some transition buddies may also serve as campus tour guides.
PTA Volunteers are the third important strand of the Parent Partner Initiative at NIS. While the Outreach and Transition teams help families arrive at NIS, once families are here, the PTA takes over! The PTA works with the school to improve opportunities for our children and support the community of parents living and working in Nagoya. While many parents become regular members of the PTA and attend PTA events, PTA Volunteers step up to actively lend a hand in the organization and running of events.
As of now, our Parent Partner teams have...
- helped to create the NIS tagline, “Inquire, Inspire, Impact”
- held a workshop for expecting or new mothers to learn more about international education options in Japan (Outreach)
- helped create NIS magnets and stickers (Outreach)
- been connecting with families interested in NIS and provided support by answering questions and giving school tours (Transitions)
- supporting “Open Houses” for prospective families by joining and sharing their experiences at NIS (Transitions)
- planned a panel discussion for parents which involved NIS alumni talking about how an NIS education helped them transition to college or university (Outreach)
- created straws and chopsticks with the NIS tagline imprinted, thanks to the support of the Design Team (Outreach)
- organized a wide variety of events and activities all year-long (PTA Volunteers)
- organized online learning events and discussion groups for parents during the strict campus access policies due to COVID19
- NISタグライン（スローガン）、"Inquire, Inspire, Impact"の決定
- NISマグネット、ステッカーの製作 (Outreach)
- NIS卒業後の進路などについてのパネルディスカッションの企画、実施（Outreach) => パネルディスカッションの要約はこちら
Parent Partners and YOU!
Current Parents: Do you want to be a Parent Partner?
Prospective Parents: Are you thinking about NIS for your child?
Would you like to get connected with a "Transition Buddy?" We can connect you with someone who can answer your questions and tell you about NIS with no pressure or expectations. Please contact us.