The 2023 NIS Summer Program is a one week session from July 31-August 4 for students in Gr. 3-8. Applications are now open and the deadline for applying is July 1. Apply HERE.
The goal for the 2023 Summer Program is to support your child to gain important knowledge and skills in STEAM, as well as develop confidence, teamwork, and problem-solving abilities. The program runs from Monday-Friday, starting daily at 9:00 am and finishing at 3:00 pm.
Below are the topics for each grade/grouping:
Grades 3-4: Let's Make it Move!
An examination of materials and engineering elements to make a moving toy using design principles.
- Day 1: Investigation of simple machines
- Day 2: Using air and resistance to make a hovercraft
- Day 3: Create a your own bug using design principles
- Day 4: Make it fly - using simple machines to move things in the air
- Day 5: Putting it all together to create your own toy!
Grades 5-6: Let's Make it Loud!
An examination of materials and engineering elements to make sound using design principles.
- Day 1: Exploring sound, how do instruments work
- Day 2: Sound off - using elements of sound to design your own soundproof room
- Day 3: Let's make it LOUD - amplification
- Day 4: Creating a speaker simple magnets
- Day 5: Putting it all together to create your own speaker which can be hooked up to a bluetooth device.
Grades 7-8: Let's Make it Bounce!
An examination of chemical materials and engineering. We will examine polymers and construction materials using design principles
- Day 1: Composites and Stretching
- Day 2: Making your own Lip balm
- Day 3: Packaging a reaction
- Day 4: Making hydrogen out of water
- Day 5: Putting it all together and the creation of your own Silly Putty and your own bouncing polymer