Our Connections: CIS, WASC, IB and JCIS
Our connections with the community are invaluable in ensuring our ability to support the ever-changing educational needs of the greater community.
Nagoya International School is fully accredited by WASC and CIS, ensuring that we are able to meet rigorous standards for international education, and, additionally, we are authorized to offer the International Baccalaureate (IB) PYP, MYP and DP programs. NIS is actively involved with SENIA (Special Education Needs in Asia), a network dedicated to supporting special learning needs. NIS is also a member of the Japan Council of International Schools (JCIS), the IB Association of Japan, the Chubu Economic Federation (Chukeiren), the Aichi America Japan Association, the Aichi British Japan Association, and the American Chamber of Commerce in Japan (ACCJ).
WASC & CIS Joint Accreditation Process
The Accreditation Process is a flexible, yet rigorous, vehicle for school improvement leading to highly valued international recognition of the school. The CIS/WASC Standards for Accreditation are designed to ensure that a school offers an international education of high quality commensurate with the three “Driving Ideals” of international education. These ideals require the school to be:
- Mission Driven and Vision Led (are we living the mission in all we say and do?)
- Heavily focused on Student Learning and Student Well-Being (are students supported in a safe environment to make good progress in their learning?)
- Committed to Internationalism/Inter-Culturalism to foster Global Citizenship. (are students helped to understand and develop their identity as a global citizen?)
CIS & WASC jointly accredit NIS on an ongoing ten-year cycle of quality in which the school demonstrates the capacity, commitment and competence to support attainment of these three ‘driving ideals’. The cycle includes rigorous evaluations by visiting teams which supplement an in depth school-conducted self-study and inform a comprehensive action-planning component.
The high standards set by CIS and WASC ensure that we are able to attract and retain excellent teachers, and mean that graduates of NIS are given serious consideration when applying to universities worldwide.
- Download the most recent CIS/WASC Evaluation Preparatory Report (December, 2022) HERE.
- Download the summary of our April, 2019 Accreditation Report HERE.